Thursday, April 16, 2009

I'm You: You Are Me and We Are You

We have just finished breakfast and are heading out the door to take Daddy to work. The Honda is being maintenanced, and I'm suddenly very grateful we now have two cars. Busying myself with breakfast dishes, I vaguely hear Chris in the background playing the say game. "Say Isaac." "Say Daddy." And then I hear him. "Isaac," Kameen says. Of course it's not clear or pronounced, but it's definitely "Isaac." Just yesterday he learned to say "Daddy." Up to now it has always been "Dada." And today, his own name, "Isaac."

In Hebrew, Isaac means "laughter" or "he laughs." It is a play on the reaction that Sarah had when she, at the age of 90, conceived a son (
Genesis 21:1-7). If there is one thing our Isaac does, it's laugh. When I hear him say his own name, I realize, I'm him, he's me, and we are one, all three. It's fun to think that from two comes one, and soforth. Perhaps I think too deeply, and so I finish the dishes. Perhaps tomorrow he'll say "Mama."



No comments: