Thursday, April 10, 2008

My baby is solid...without solids!

I find it amazing that even though Kameen is quite healthy (18 lbs. 10 oz. and 27 inches long at his 4-month check) as an exclusively breastfed baby, our doctor still recommended we start him on cereal. Now, this was said rather nonchalantly when I inquired about solids. I thought the pediatrician/parent relationship was supposed to be customized for your child, but apparently this is not the case with our doctor. Not only did she look at her watch during our appointment, she recommended letting Kameen cry-it-out without inquiring about his normal routine or behavior; she called him manipulative, and she passively said we could go ahead and give him cereal. I was quite appalled!

Here's our chunky monkey at 4 1/2 months in his new highchair. :)

So, I've ignored everything she said because I know better (see the following websites for more info), and we will be waiting to start solids until he's 6-months. Of course it does depend on his development, if it's sooner, then it's sooner. I have to admit that I went ahead and bought some cereal in preparation for the big event and a little out of almost giving in, but I have since regrouped and chosen to stay the course. Regardless, I question whether we will return to our pediatrician. I'm probably going to seek out one that pays a bit more attention to my baby as an individual and not as another number.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kameen looks like his Daddy here!